Sometimes driving your car on an open road is difficult when your journey is so long. Continuous pressing the accelerator to maintain the vehicle speed may be the cause of uncertain pain in the leg or in other body parts. But in this modern era, every problem comes with their solution & to make your driving experience more comfortable many automobile manufacturing compony offers cruise control feature with their vehicle. So what is cruise control for car, its features & the importance we will discuss here?
The cruise control system in vehicles is always the best option for long-distance journeys especially when there is only a single driver. The feature of cruise control in cars is developed according to its generation. Such as in the previous model of cruise features a vehicle accelerator connected through a gas pedal in a certain position to maintain the pre-set speed. But in the new generation, the speed of car manage electronically.
According to a survey, Most people think that Cruise control is harmful to their vehicles. As a modern period, Many Drivers who know about CC (Cruise Control / Advance or Active Cruise Control) prefer it in their vehicle. Most people don’t know about Cruise Control. It sustains your marked speed while using less fuel. They’ve many questions in their mind like, Is Cruise Control Bad for Your Engine? What’s the advantage or disadvantage of Cruise Control? Do you know about Advance or Active Cruise Control and what will be the difference between Advance Cruise Control & Cruise Control? And so many. So now let’s talk about them.
What is Cruise Control?
Basically, Cruise Control is an advanced electronic device/system in vehicles for safety. Cruise Control came into use first in the early 1900s in Wilson-Pilcher cars. It was SGS (Speed Governing System). In 1948, Ralph Teetor, a mechanical Engineer, Saw many other improvements and variations. That was the time when teeter filed a pattern for Cruise Control’s invention. Cruise Control came into light Between 1960-1970. They have an automatic function that works with vehicle transmission to maintain your vehicle speed to give a free relaxing period of time from the gas paddle. Cruise Control improves fuel/gas efficiency reducing instances of acceleration. It gives you an allowance to your ankle for rest while driving a long road trip. Cruise Control works while you set an impulse speed until you don’t touch the paddle or brake.
How Cruise Control Works?
The cruise control button appears on the steering wheel. Cruise control is used for safety purposes in new cars. Basically, cruise control is a computer mechanism with AI sensors. Cruise control operates your vehicle gradually. So cruise control is conceivably important in your vehicle for engine/transmission. If you’re maintaining gas manually, Then cruise control plays a major role here. Cruise control inescapably occurs and abolishes prime eliminates of speed fluctuations. They mainly work to intensify or deliberate the speed of vehicles. Cruise control tells the throttle to send approximately air to the engine. All of these fluctuations can cause erosion to the engine and other components of your vehicle. Brake pads and drums can collapse due to habitual breaks. Shifting gears can be pestering the transmission.
How to use cruise control while driving the vehicle
Here are some specific condition figures, which will tell you about timing to engage or dis-engage cruise control.
Time to Engage:
- Mainly cruise control is made for drivers’ comfort and refreshment. It’s only usable when you should be on the highway and the weather is clear. You always need to remember one thing, which is to close your foot to your paddle. You never know when you need to use a paddle.
- Also, when driving your vehicle on highways and If you feel pain in your ankle, Then you can engage cruise control by pressing a single button.
- If you want to focus on your driving and want to avoid unexpected things like speeding then you can engage cruise control.
Time to Dis-Engage:
- Nowadays, We’ve been upgrading technology according to our time. But we must have to think about their use like cruise control. We never use cruise control in slippery conditions because it’s an AI technology and if you set a constant speed then your wheel couldn’t grip on the road properly if you brake on your vehicle.
- If you’re feeling lazy or you’re falling asleep then it’s a very hazardous situation, You couldn’t engage in cruise control. Because It’s an AI system, not autopilot.
- When you’re driving in your local street or city then you don’t need to engage in cruise control. As you know, in the local area or in the city unexpected things happen. Like someone suddenly comes, Cyclist takes a turn in front of your vehicle. Many latest cars have features that have a speed limit to engage cruise control so it would not activate cruise control.
- On the other hand, If you drive your vehicle in a traffic area, Then cruise control couldn’t work. Because cruise control works with sensors that give them vehicle length and distance. It seems a heavy mistake to understand, which will cause a dangerous situation.
- When you’re in a hilly area, Then you should avoid using cruise control. The Hilly area has winding roads which are very dangerous. You need to drive the manual because you need to look at all the corners while taking turns.
Is Cruise Control Bad for Your Engine?
Well, it’s not. It’s math about Cruise Control that it’ll harm your engine and it will consume more fuel or gas. Transmission and Cruise Control both are the main parts of the engine. Both have interconnections, If the transmission is slippery or not working then cruise control never works. Cruise control prevents maximum acceleration to the engine Because it has a special feature which is called a Speed Limiter. Cruise control reduces rapid acceleration and corrosion engine/transmission with ameliorated fuel efficiency.
Advanced Cruise Control (ACC) Features
It’s a variation of standard in today’s vehicles. ACC comes along with sensors, cameras, lasers, radar & so more things. When you press the cruise control button which is located in your streaming wheel and turn the cruise control system on, Then in your cluster display, You’ll see a white or yellow Adaptive Cruise Control icon.
Difference Between Cruise Control & Advanced Cruise Control
- Advance cruise control has the sense to slow down your car at a certain distance while You need to pedal a break yourself while using CC.
- ACC has some advanced features like an automatic lane change system and smart braking system while other side CC doesn’t have any of these because It’s an older version of ACC.
- Also, ACC has one special feature in itself which is self-driving while CC you have an option for self speeding but not self-driving.
- ACC automatically shifts gears while using grade logic control to give efficient braking control to the engine in the hilly area.
Generally, cruise control is a feature for your safety and gives relaxation to your body. If you engage cruise control with the following guideline then it will not harm you. You can enhance your vehicle mileage. According to a survey, When you engage in Cruise control, it consumes 20-30% less fuel while you manually drive. Cruise control provides a sufficiently good result for your engine and transmission as well.
Here in this article, we have shared the information related to the cruise control types, features, working & other information. Hope the above information will help to understand the importance of cruise control in your vehicle.